Saturday, September 21, 2013

"Lift Another Up" Lifestyle

...in lowliness of mind let each esteem others better than himself. 
(Ph 2:3b NKJV)

I am to lift another up as Jesus lifts me up.  I am to humbly lead others to the higher life that Jesus paid for us to walk in. There should always be those in my life that I am lifting up and those that are lifting me up. This is the lesson that I see in the above scripture.

I came to understand this verse in this way after looking at the meanings of the words in the Strong's concordance.  This is what I found:

       in lowliness of mind - G5012 - humiliation of mind, i.e. modesty
       let - G2233 - to lead, i.e. command (with official authority); figuratively, to deem, i.e. consider
       each - G240 - one another
       esteem - G2233 - to lead, i.e. command (with official authority); figuratively, to deem, i.e. consider
       other - G240 - one another
       better than - G5242 - to hold oneself above, i.e. (figuratively) to excel; participle (as adjective, or neuter as noun) superior, superiority
       themselves - G1438 - him- (her-, it-, them-, also (in conjunction with the personal pronoun of the other persons) my-, thy-, our-, your-) self (selves), etc.

So, Philippians 2:3b could read:

Humbly lead one another to lead one another to hold oneself above him.

This wording, though awkward, ministered to me. 

The writer of Hebrews wrote similarly, And let us consider and give attentive, continuous care to watching over one another, studying how we may stir up (stimulate and incite) to love and helpful deeds and noble activities. (Heb. 10:24 AMP)

This is a function of the church of Jesus Christ. We are to offer our ceiling to be another's floor, lifting each other higher and higher in love, in wisdom, in understanding...

I love this life!


Copyright 2013  Leah Lambert Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment